I will understand the starting procedure of SAP S / 4 HANA and explain the starting procedure of SAP System.
SAP S / 4HANA is SAP’s fourth SAP ERP Business Suit.
(fourth-generation ERP business application and in-memory computing platform)
Application Server : SAP R1 -> R2 -> R3 -> ERP 6.0 -> S/4 HANA
SAP HANA Database is used to store data in the same database as Oracle DB.
Database Server : SAP HANA DB 1.0 SP01 -> SP09 -> SP12 -> HANA DB 2.0 SP01 -> SP03
Understanding the Start procedure of SAP S / 4 HANA and HANA DB makes it easy to see what went wrong during Start failure.
The OS (Operating System) of the SAP HANA Database is based on Linux and is based on Linux of S / 4 HANA, so I will explain start procedure of HANA DB and S / 4 HANA in Linux environment.
Think of UNIX as a Linux-like structure, and think about how to cope with S / 4 HANA start failure and how to deal with it.
It also does not explain how to start S / 4 HANA and HANA Database in Windows environment. HANA DB is Linux-based system because it is not used in Windows environment.
In conclusion, I will explain the environment in which HANA DB starts in Linux environment and the starting environment of S / 4 HANA.
OS(Operating System) : SUSE Linux Enterprise for SAP Applications 12 SP3
HANA Database : SAP HANA Platform Edition 2.0 SPS03
S/4 HANA Version : SAP S/4HANA 1809 On-Premise
Understanding the procedures that SAP ERP and S / 4 HANA services start can help you understand the overall S / 4 HANA Start sequence and understand the problems that arise when you start S / 4 HANA.
- The S/4 HANA system architecture will be explained first.
HANA Database exists in HANA DB version 1.0 or 2.0.
The Client Interface acts as the interface between Database Base and Application.
The application has SAP ERP 6.0 and S/4 HANA.
- I will explain the procedure for starting SAP S / 4 HANA. All products released by SAP are structured in the same way. All SAP applications such as SAP ERP, BW, CRM, SRM, SCM and Enterprise Portal will start in the same way. There are some changes in the version of the SAP product, but to a large extent all products start in a similar environment.
This section describes the procedure for starting SAP NetWeaver 7.5 for S / 4 HANA. The order of starting S / 4 HANA starts the application of S / 4 HANA after OS boots up and database starts.
1)OS Boot will start Linux Operation System first. Linux supports SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. When booting from the OS, the first thing to start is the sapinit script that exists under /etc/init.d/ in the OS.
2)Database Start is started by HANA DB and starts Database by logging in as <SID> adm user and executing “HDB Start” command.
3)SAP Start starts with the application of SAP ERP 6.0 and SAP S / 4 HANA. Start the S / 4 HANA Application by logging in as <SID> adm user and executing the “startsap” command.
- I will explain the procedure of starting SAP S / 4 HANA in more detail. The description of the figure below describes the order in which the database starts first and the application of the S / 4 HANA starts.
HANA DB starts first, SAP ASCS (ABAP System Central Services) starts second, and finally S / 4 HANA, which is the third application, starts.
1) Database Server is started by HANA DB (Database such as Oracle 12c is started)
2)ASCS is started by the Message Server and the Enqueue Server.
3)The Application Server is started by the ABAP Dispatcher and the Dialog Work Process.
- Start of S / 4 HANA This section explains what commands should be executed at each step to start the service. This is a specific description of the server on which the S / 4 HANA Application exists, that is, the application server described in the preceding figure.
Describes when an SAP step involves starting or stopping an SAP related service.
1)The steps that the sapinit script starts in the OS.
When booting on the Linux OS, the sapinit script is executed automatically and the sapstartsrv process is started. This is done automatically when the OS is started, and there is nothing you need to do. However, to force the sapinit script to stop, you can stop the sapinit script by executing the sapinit stop command as root user.
2)The step to start the sapstartsrv process.
he sapstartsrv process starts automatically when the OS starts, and it can confirm that the startsrv process is started when the Linux OS starts. Command ps -ef | grep sapstarupsrv can be used to verify that the process has started, and if the user can force stop, the sapstartsrv process can be stopped by logging in as user <SID> adm and issuing the “stopsap sapstartsrv” command.
3)This is the step to start the application of S / 4 HANA. Starting with SAP ERP, when you log in as user <SID> adm and execute “startsap R3” command, the application of S / 4 HANA starts. When stopping, log in as <SID> adm and perform “stopsap R3”. Startsap R3 starts the Message Server and the Enqueue Server. The ABAP Dispatcher, Dialog Work Process, and Gateway Server are started.
- SAP S/4 HANA will start by referring to the environment file when SAP System starts. All common software applications use S / W by configuring environment variables and environment files in the same way. If the S / 4 HANA reads the file and starts the application, you can find the problem if the S / 4 HANA fails to start.
1)When the OS starts, the sapinit script is started. Here, the sapservices file is read to configure the environment. The sapservices file exists under /usr/sap.
2)When the sapstartsrv process starts, it starts by reading the ACSS Instance Profile.
It consists of SID_<Instance><Instance Number>_<hostname>.
3)The sapstart R3 command starts the application of S / 4 HANA. When the S / 4 HANA application starts, it starts by reading the Default Profile and PAS Instance Profile.
Default Profile : DEFAULT.PFL
PAS Instance Profile : It consists of SID_<Instance><Instance Number>_<hostname>
- SAP ERP 6.0 System refers to the Profile when you start it. When SAP ERP 6.0 uses Oracle as the database, it matches the figure below. However, in case of S / 4 HANA, the difference is that S / 4 HANA uses HANA DB, so HANA DB should be started separately.
1)sapstartsrv starts by reading the ASCS Instance Profile.
2)sapcpe copies the exe file in the Global Directory to the Instance Directory.
3)When the PAS is in the same computer as the DB, start the DB.
4)ASCS, PAS, AAS Instance To start, read the Default Profile and Instance Profile and start.
- This figure illustrates the procedure for starting SAP System on Linux. This is a complex description of the SAP S / 4 HANA’s Start procedure for each Profile Start Script.
1)When the OS boots, the sapinit script starts.
2)The sapinit script starts sapstartsrv.
3)The sapstart command requires that sapstartsrv be started before the sapstart command can be executed.
4)The startsap command starts disp + work, message server (msg_server), Gateway server (gwrd), ICM (icman) process
- The structure of SAP ABAP System corresponding to SAP S / 4 HANA will be explained first. S / 4 HANA is based on the NetWeaver 7.5 ABAP Stack
SAP Core component has been eveloved as SAP Basis -> SAP NetWeaver (AS ABAP)
That is SAP S/4 HANA is the SAP AS ABAP System.
1)Central System consists of ABAP PAS (Primary Application Server) + Database Server on one H / W. That is, S / 4 HANA and HANA DB are installed together in one physical server. So, 1 BOX’s server CPU and memory are shared configuration.
2)The Distributed System is a separate configuration of servers. The Database Server is installed on one H / W, and ABCS System Central Services (ASCS) is installed on the other. The other one has the ABAP PAS (Primary Application Server) installed, and the other one has the ABAP Additional Application Server (AAS).
- I will explain the procedure for starting ABAP Central System in SAP System. One of the most important features of the Central System is that there is a database and an SAP System in one H / W. This configuration is used to configure a development system (DEV System) or a verification system (QAS System). In other words, 1 BOX CPU, memory and disk resources are used to share the structure.
1)The user logs in as <SID>adm. Performs the startsap command.
2)The startsap command starts the database if the database is not started. If you are using HANA DB, you must log in as HANA DB user <SID> adm and execute HDB start command. If it is Oracle, DB will start automatically.
3)The Message Server and the Enqueue Server corresponding to ASCS are started.
4)Start with ABAP Dispatcher, Dialog Work Process, Gateway Process, ICM Process.
Up to this point, the user explained how to start DB (Oracle) and SAP Application by executing startsap command once.
- We will discuss the SAP Distributed System. The Distributed System is a configuration that installs each SAP Application on multiple servers. The configuration is to install Database Server on one server, ABAP ASCS Instance on the other, and ABAP PAS Instance on a separate server.
1)Log in as the DB user <SID> adm and perform the HDB start command. Then, if sapstartsrv is not started, start sapstartsrv and start HANA DB.
2)If you log in as root and execute the sapcontrol -function start command, all the ASCS, PAS, and AAS Instances will start at the same time. If you use the sapcontrol command, the SAP system of ASCS, ABAP PAS, and ABAP AAS will start with one command instead of logging into each server.